Monday, March 24, 2008

Is that a big gut, or you having a baby?

I've been living the past two months as if life has lost its luster. Balling my fists and cursing the heavens. That is until now. What with winter on the wing and glorious spring warming the outer mantle, life, my friends, seems slightly reinvigorated. It's no surprise, then, that we see a little more pregnant women waddling about. After all, humans, like most mammals, like to hole themselves up in the cold of winter and, for lack of anything better to do, fuck.*

Which, contrary to how well reasoned i thought this analogy was, has nothing to do with the story of the transgender male who is now carrying the baby of his wife. Because, as I realize now, this guy really had to work to get knocked up. I mean, after all, this isn't easy-peasy man on woman intercourse. No this is woman with turkey baster on woman in man, kind of intercourse. That aside, and for the sake of my analogy, I'm going to pretend like somehow this makes sense.



And it does. Kind of. It just takes a moment to internalize.

Here's the thing, I have absolutely no qualms with "transgender". In fact, I'm all for it. I say yes to it all; gender is a construction, biology isn't enough to ascribe social conventions en absolut, and absolutely, whatever it is that you have to do to better yourself, do it.

However, when I first heard of this story I said, No. No, No, No, No. I'm sorry, but you cannot have it all. You got to take your hormones, you got your breasts removed, and as if it isn't enough that you get to be a male, the favored of the human species, you also get to breed your own biological child?

Alas, I realized these prudish sensibilities were ridiculous. And now I say, "Work it out boy!". You do what you got to do to have your family. After all, there's all kinds of dummies breeding out there, and since the government won't mandate a (legitimate) eugenics program as they probably should, then I'll settle for a seemingly intelligent and thoughtful couple raising a child in a somewhat unconventional manner.

*According to the US census, the most popular month to have a baby is July, which actually means that people start mashing nasties sometime around October/Novemeber.

No comments: